This spring, so many special occasions are still happening, but due to COVID-19, we won’t be able to share in those celebrations together. Mother’s Day is still Mother’s Day, but you won’t get to bring fresh flowers to your mom at brunch. Your senior is still graduating – and you’re still so proud of her, even though you won’t get to cheer for her from the nosebleeds at graduation. Easter or Passover will still be observed as part of your spiritual tradition, but we won’t be gathered with our extended families for generations-shared past times. And, and, and… I’m just as bummed as everyone else. Right now, personal and meaningful heirlooms seem like great gifts to raise someone’s spirits. We could all use a boost!
While we’re all doing our part to stay home and maintain social distancing, our heroic essential workers are still showing up – keeping us safe, healthy, fed, and informed. One of those people is my brother, Henry. He’s an Emergency Medicine physician at Detroit Receiving Hospital (on the front lines of this virus in their ER). For me, this isn’t just an abstract concern – it’s personal.
So, to help with some gifts to raise someone’s spirits, I’ve decided to help in two ways:
1. Purchase a gift – and a portion will be donated toward PPE
To ensure this team has the proper safety gear they so desperately need, I’m going to be donating 20% of any gift purchased here to the PPE and Wellness Supply fund for Detroit Receiving Hospital, until April 30, 2020.
I’m confident you have someone in your life who could benefit from a personal gift:
- Your mom who may be lonely in this season
- Your cousin who’s worked her tail off and won’t get a graduation ceremony to honor her achievements
- Your bestie who had to postpone her wedding
- Your other bestie who had to postpone her wedding but got married privately – and you want to acknowledge their commitment
- Your colleague who’s crushing it, by running a small business and homeschooling her kids
I’ll be donating 20% of your total order to directly purchase PPE for medical professionals on the front lines of COVID-19, who risk their own safety on a daily basis to help protect our community. The donation will run until April 30, 2020.
What does this include? Your choice of…
- Personalized stationery:a boxed set of notecards customized with your choice of color, text, and calligraphy style. Always a great gift, or treat yo’self!
- Watercolor or line-drawn pieces: beautiful renderings of things most special to you or a loved one – pets, homes, and wedding bouquets.
- Hand calligraphed prose pieces:have your most treasured text written as an art piece to display in your home (think vows, lyrics, even grandma’s cookie recipe).
As another option…
2. Nominate a deserving essential worker you know
I’m asking for your input! Nominate a deserving essential worker you know – someone on the front lines serving us all. That could be someone in medical, grocery, transportation, police/fire – anyone showing up for our community in our time of dire need. Each person nominated will be entered to win a free art piece from me. The winner will have his/her choice between personalized stationery, a watercolor or line-drawn piece, or a hand-calligraphed prose piece. Gifts to raise someone’s spirits are most important for these brave folks, who are working tirelessly for our collective benefit – this is one tiny thing I can do to help show my gratitude for their efforts. Nominations will be open until April 11, 2020.